Job Title: Director of Development
Division: University Advancement
Reports To: Associate Vice President for University Advancement
Salary: To be determined
Hours / Months: 40 Hours / 12 Months
Revision Update: June 2017
- Responsible for meeting annual fundraising goals.
- Consults with Associate Vice President for University Advancement in setting goals/metrics, and implementing donor cultivation and solicitation strategies for assigned portfolio.
- Maintains his/her own donor portfolio (discovery, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship).
- Builds relationships with donors and donor prospects through regular face-to-face visits, calls, emails, and mailings.
- Submits and maintains regular contact and activity reports on all donor-related activities.
- Effectively collaborates with deans and other appropriate administrators to develop strategies for the successful completion of specific fundraising initiatives.
- Plans, implements and manages major gift solicitations ($10,000 and above) for donors and donor prospects within assigned portfolio.
- Introduces gift planning vehicles, when appropriate, to successfully maintain a donor-centric approach to philanthropy.
- Develops gift proposals for individuals and corporations.
- Maintains a winsome and professional relationship with the community and organizations that have an interest in or provide support to California Baptist University.
- Attends and/or represents the University at community events, alumni/parent events, athletic events, and other special events in assigned areas and on campus.
- Pursues professional development opportunities regarding fundraising techniques and donor relations by attending conferences, reading books, and subscribing to applicable publications.
- Maintains oversight of college/school-specific development budget.
- Willingness to travel regionally and nationally as required.
- Ability to articulate an understanding of and have a passion for Christian higher education.
- Knowledge of fundraising systems and campaigns.
- Financial acumen and the ability to understand financial, business, and legal concepts.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Knowledge, understanding and balanced appreciation of all aspects of fundraising.
- Ability to participate in maintaining a positive and winsome work environment that promotes advancing University Advancement, and serve as an advocate for UA within the entire CBU community.
- Internal motivation to accomplish objectives and tasks (a self-starter).
- Ability to work independently of daily supervision.
- Ability to work flexible hours including mornings or evenings, and occasional weekends.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- Ability to plan, develop, and coordinate multiple projects at a time.
- Ability to use independent judgment, manage and impart confidential information and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, student body and the community.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (extremely high people skills, winsome).
- Ability to relate well to a wide variety of personalities, ages, and careers.
- Demonstrated professionalism, persistence, initiative, and tact in building and maintaining relationships.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Ability to maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
- Ability to ask and close major and planned gifts.