Join Our Team! At Salem, we strive to create an environment where everyone has an opportunity to learn, grow and excel. We engage with our communities and build enduring relationships.
Reporting to the CEO, The Director of Donor Relations position responsible for planning, developing, and maintaining a comprehensive private fund-raising program on behalf of Salem Christian Homes and Salem Foundation to enhance the mission and vision established by the Board of Directors.
The Mission of Salem Christian Homes is to provide a Christ-centered residential living environment for people with developmental disabilities to thrive and enjoy life.
The Vision of Salem Christian Homes is be a light for Christ for people with developmental disabilities by providing residential care, resources, and community which brings peace to families whose desire is to find an environment where their loved one can thrive.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Identify, define and acquire funding resources available to Salem.
- Design, maintain and implement a comprehensive development program that results in annual donations to Salem Christian Homes in excess of $1MM.
- Design, maintain and implement a comprehensive development program that results in the growth of Salem Foundation from $2.5MM to $10MM within three years.
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Build and maintain relationships with major donors and develop strategies for solicitation of new donors, corporate and foundation funding sources.
- Responsible for internal and external communications related to development and marketing.
- Design and implement and/or maintain a structured fund-raising program as an aspect Salem’s overall program and as economic resource development.
- Work collaboratively with staff members to identify avenues of economic support for programs/projects.
- Develop strategies for and coordinates all fund-raising activities in keeping with organizational goals.
- Aggressively seeks new corporate/foundation funding sources and maintains relationships with current/past donors. Represents Salem in meetings with potential funding sources.
- Maintains ongoing contact with staff regarding programs and plans.
- Examines ways of packaging and marketing these programs to philanthropic supporters.
- Work collaboratively with board members, community and business leaders to generate support for fundraising programs/projects.
- Monitors the progress of the planning and execution of all events at Salem.
- Analyze the event’s success and prepare reports.
- Responsible for the management of the operating budget for the department.
- As a member of the senior leadership team, contribute to the achievement of Salem’s operational and cultural goals.
- Represent Salem at community events.
- Perform all other duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
This position is responsible for all employees of the Development department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department.
Travel Required: Up to 50 % local travel, up to 50 miles to various facilities, meetings and events. Some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected. Willingness to drive personal and/or rental vehicle, when appropriate, for business purposes.
Hours Required: This is a full-time position Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Longer hours and the ability to work weekends may be required.
Education Required: Bachelor’s degree in/or related to Public Relations, Marketing or Business Administration. Master’s degree preferred.
Experience Required: A minimum of 5 years’ experience in fundraising or development with a Christian not-for-profit with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in a supervisory or leadership role managing staff in a related field. Experience with overseeing a development budget of at least $2MM. Familiarity with developmentally disabled health care, non-profits, annual giving, foundation/corporate solicitations, communications and special events is preferred. Minimum age 21. Excellent computer skills for using Microsoft Office Suite, Office 365, donor database software, Internet and related business applications.
Skills and Abilities: Must possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with employees at all levels, as well as, with external contacts. Demonstrated ability to engage with donors to Christian non-for-profits and secure funding support for multi-million-dollar campaigns. Must possess the ability to foster teamwork and progressive change. Ability to have long-range planning and marketing strategies. Proven organizational skills, excellent oral and written communication skills, and attention to detail. Ability to manage multiple tasks, simultaneously, with interruptions. Ability to identify problems, collect and analyze relevant and adequate facts, and apply good judgment to solve problems and arrive at sound conclusions. Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality when dealing with information and issues of a sensitive nature. Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office suite. Ability to communicate well in English, both verbally and in writing. Ability to communicate verbally by phone in English in a clear and concise manner.
Physical Abilities: Ability to lift up to 25 lbs., approximately three (3) times per week. Must be able to navigate stairs multiple times during each work shift. Ability to drive in heavy traffic and inclement weather. Ability to sit at a desk and work with a computer approx. 8 hours a day.
License Required: A valid California Driver's License - Class II/C. Proof of current auto insurance.
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work, 21 years of age or older, verification of degree/credentials, satisfactory health exam, fingerprint clearance, submit proof of valid California Driver's License, maintain a good driving record (must meet insurability requirements of Salem’s carrier), submit proof of auto insurance for current period of coverage, successful completion of CPR and First Aid Training, and agree to uphold all Salem’s Policies and Procedures.
SALEM CHRISTIAN HOMES, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Salem Christian Homes, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, disability, medical condition, marital status, or sexual orientation, transgender. Minorities/Consumers/Ex-Consumers are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.